6.18.2005

Spinning Torture

I've already posted on GOP efforts to smear Dick Durbin as a terrorist. Meanwhile, they've been attempting to make light of the torture at Gitmo because, get this, it's not quite as bad as it was in the gulags or concentration camps.

You can see this at Powerline today. And from Fox News pundit, Chris Wallace:

"But what the FBI memo alleges, and it is an allegation, is, you know, would be considered a day at the beach in the Soviet gulag or Nazi...I mean, what was so horrific in the memo, and I'm not saying, you know, there aren't legitimate questions there, is that someone is chained to a floor and forced to defecate on themselves, and has loud rock music playing. Excuse me? I mean, you know, Auschwitz? Bergen Belsen? The Soviet gulag? I think they would have been very happy to be allowed to defecate on themselves."

And from Mitt Romney:

"To suggest, for instance, that the kinds of things that we're associated with as torture, is crazy. You hear that all the time. Oh, the Americans are torturing. Well, that's absurd. Torturing is breaking bones and pulling out people's fingernails and the like."

So, as long as the torture isn't as bad as a concentration camp, that means it's ok?

I thought we were better than that. And so did Dick Durbin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home